Monday, March 2, 2009

Domestic Violence

According to www.abanet.org/ domviol/statistics, approximately 1.3 million woman and 835,000 men are physically assualted by an intimate partner annually in the United States. Also, intimate partner violence made up 20% of all non fatal violent crime experinced by woman. What some people don't understand is that its exposure to children can be tramaitizing in its effects. Children look towards their parents as role models of behavior and trust their actions to be what they know as "right". The sad part is that those traits and behaviors are engraved into the minds of those once innocent children and they grow up forming ideas and opinions on what they ve seen and been taught. It usaully leads to the same violent behavior they once experienced first hand. It doesn't nessacarily need to be physcial, instead the abuse can exist emotionally as for all forms of abuse. A lot of people, victims of domestic violence fail to speak out or act upon their situation whether it be a fear of safety or finacial dependece. This issue concerns me and the fact that help is out there should instil comfort in those who are victims and are suffering. Whether the abuse is directed towards a paticular individual, the effects of it are experienced through exposure

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you. When you're a child, your brain acts like a sponge and it soaks up everything around you. Whether it's learning something good or bad, it still soaks it in. When a child is exposed to this, they sometimes take it into adulthood. They sometimes may mirror the abuse that they once suffered from. Many people dont speak out because they are too afraid, but sometimes it's just too late.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Amena, Saleem again. I am currently laughing out loud. I just want to say once again I do agree with you. I just think that domestic abuse can affect anyone at any age of their lives that plays a major part in their lives whether it is to never do it or do it. Not to get off your topic but I think the abuse on women from a man is because he wants control over her. The children situation, depends on the age I think. If they are about 6 through 9 maybe the child might think its their fault that this is occurring and later on they become socially isolated from the trauma. Also they won't be able to focus on anything that is around them because I sure wouldn't. There is counseling!

    By the way, Jason Kidd's wife abused him and he has three kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work using rsearch to support an idea that was causing you concern. The numbers you have offered are frightening.

    Grade:4/4

    ReplyDelete