Monday, April 6, 2009

why billy dropped out?

" I dropped out of school at 16. I didn't have a family that provided for me therefore I had to work to get the things I wanted". I was working and I was thinking of a topic to write for this blog and so he explained to me that he wouldn't know anything about humanites because of the fact that he dropped out. I thought that this would be a good topic to discuss. Kids drop out of highschool for an abundence of reasons. It can either be due to finacial reasons as well as a lack of family support. Teens like billy probably sought no other option but to provide for themselves. Another reason may be to take care of their family. A loved one may be sick and the child may feel enabled. Pressure will often keep a student out of class. The fear of failure causes kids to give up and not want to pursue a future in school. What's sad is that these children never make it to collage and end up providing for their own families with a minimum wage job. Espeacially since we are in a ressecion, people can't afford to not go to school and earn a decent education. They need the guidence of those aware and understanding of the issue in order for them to maintain faith in themselves, faith that they will succeed.

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, kids now-a-days, our age are dropping out not realizing the repercussions of their actions. Sometimes kids are more attracted to hanging out all day rather than sitting in english class. This also reflects my first blog. People put the unnecessary 'i wants' before the obligatory 'i needs'. I believe ever has that issue; essentially, the fight between id, ego and superego.

    p.s maybe you should change his name, he might not want this out there like that.

    -HOLLA

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dont think you could have said it any better. It seems easy when you do it, dropping out of school. It feels like a weight lifted off of your chest. No more homework, no more waking up early. The fact is that dropping out now makes it harder later in life. Especially now, as you said in order to have a job you need to have an education. Its very hard to provide in todays world with a minimum wage job. Young adults at our age think its easier just to not attend school, and work for whatever they want. They fail to realize that what is enough money for them to survive now, will not be enough money to support a family later.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with all of you ^.The things that make kids lazy to go to school is waking up early,doing homework, projects or just staying in a classroom and listen to the teacher talk.Chantel, I agree with you that dropping out of school makes it harder in life.In order to get a good job and to make a good living you have to have a high school or college deploma.Yes, there are sucessful people out there who didnt go to college and has a good living.I know because some of my uncles own their own businesses.Kids in highschool have so much pressure to do good in school and earn good grades.But some kids cant handle it and the only way out in to drop out.I dont think you should just quit school for that matter, unless for personal issues.I think its so important to get a education beacsue the way the economy is now its extremely important to get a well education.We, as young adults have to think about the future.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your right but one thing I kept thinking about is how this guy or any other high school dropout has the opportunity to go back to school. I am not so sure about this because I don't know people who finished school after dropping out but I think its possible. Allot of the time people drop out just because they think they have a great job that pays well. Your right though there may be reasons behind dropping out and you have brought up very good points. Someone also said that sometimes they feel like dropping out is a weight lifted and they can live care free. These people are the sad ones because they don't actually know what they are getting into. For the other dropouts I don't know if we should feel sorry for these people because they took responsibility and that's a great thing. But they also grow up to fast and that for some is not so good. For me it all depends on how the person is doing and how they feel about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All you have written is true and valid, but where is the depth here? Where is the passion?

    Grade: 3/4

    ReplyDelete